Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
> 1/2 pound beets, peeled and sliced
> 1 cup red quinoa
> 2 cups water
> 1/2 cup olive oil
> 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
> 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
> 1 clove garlic, crushed
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
> 2 green onions, sliced
> 3 ounces arugula, chopped
> 5 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan, and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover pan and bring the water to a boil. Add beets, cover pan, and steam until just tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Bring quinoa and 2 cups water a saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
3. While the quinoa is cooking, whisk olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, and black pepper together in a large bowl.
4. Remove quinoa from heat, then immediately add half of the vinegar dressing while fluffing the quinoa with a fork; reserve remaining dressing. Cover and refrigerate quinoa until cool, at least 1 hour.
5. Stir green onions, arugula, goat cheese, beets, and remaining dressing into cooled quinoa mixture. Toss lightly before serving.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
> 1 cup thinly sliced onion
> 1/2 butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
> 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
> salt and black pepper to taste
> 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
> 1 (16 ounce) package refrigerated pizza crust dough, divided
> 1 tablespoon cornmeal
> 2 tablespoons grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Place sliced onion and squash in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; toss to coat.
2. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until onions are lightly browned and squash is tender; set aside.
3. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). On a floured surface, roll each ball of dough into an 8 inch round. Place the rounds on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal (you may need 2 baking sheets depending on their size). Distribute squash mixture over the two rounds and continue baking for 10 minutes, checking occasionally, or until the crust is firm. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining tablespoon olive oil. Cut into quarters, and serve.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
> 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
> 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
> 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
> salt to taste
> ground black pepper to taste
> 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu
> 2 tablespoons olive oil
> 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
> 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon oregano, salt, and black pepper.
2. Slice tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices, and place in bowl of cold water. One at a time, press tofu slices into crumb mixture, turning to coat all sides.
3. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook tofu slices until crisp on one side. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, turn, and brown on the other side.
4. Combine tomato sauce, basil, garlic, and remaining oregano. Place a thin layer of sauce in an 8 inch square baking pan. Arrange tofu slices in the pan. Spoon remaining sauce over tofu. Top with shredded mozzarella and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan.
5. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
Ingredients (Yields 6 Burgers):
> 2 cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
> 1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
> 3 cloves garlic
> 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (from a bottle packed in olive oil), patted dry
> 4-5 medium basil leaves
> pinch salt
> pinch pepper
> 1/3 cup almond meal
> 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Place about 3/4 of the beans (eyeball it), onion, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper in your food processor. Blend for 30-45 seconds until combined. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Stir in almond meal and remaining beans.
- Heat olive oil on a large skillet over medium heat. Form mixture into 6 patties and carefully transfer to the skillet. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until the bottom is browned and set. Very carefully flip and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes until the opposite side is browned and set as well. Serve immediately, or store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Ingredients for 8 Servings:
> 1 tablespoon olive oil
> 1/2 medium onion, chopped
> 2 bay leaves
> 1 tablespoon ground cumin
> 2 tablespoons dried oregano
> 1 tablespoon salt
> 2 stalks celery, chopped
> 2 green bell peppers, chopped
> 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
> 3 cloves garlic, chopped
> 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green Chile peppers, drained
> 2 (12 ounce) packages vegetarian burger crumbles
> 3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
> 1/4 cup chili powder
> 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
> 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
> 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
> 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
> 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and green Chile peppers. When vegetables are heated through, mix in the vegetarian burger crumbles. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Mix tomatoes into the pot. Season chili with chili powder and pepper. Stir in the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in the corn, and continue cooking 5 minutes before serving.
> 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
> 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
> 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
> 3/4 cup chopped onion
> 3 cloves garlic, minced
> 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
> 2 (26 ounce) jars pasta sauce
> 1 teaspoon dried basil
> 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
> 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling water for 10 minutes, or until al dente. Rinse with cold water and drain.
2. In a large saucepan, cook and stir mushrooms, green peppers, onion, and garlic in oil. Stir in pasta sauce and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Mix the ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, and eggs.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread 1 cup tomato sauce into the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. layer 1/2 each, lasagna noodles, ricotta mix, sauce, and parmesan cheese. Repeat layering, and top with remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes. Let it stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Okay, this sounds really weird to me, but it might be good??? Let me know if you try it & like it...TYVM!!!
A fabulous dessert
, with no added oil or refined sugar, that's packed with flavor! Serve with berries.
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and cut into chunks
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted, soaked in water for a few hours, and drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Berries, for serving
Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer to a bowl or individual serving bowls and chill in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
Homemade face masks are the best as you can prepare it whenever you want and need not worry about expiry or brand. They are natural fruit and flower extract, very mild, gentle but effective. Take a look to know how to make these natural beauty recipes. 1. Citrus Peel Off Mask – The most popular orange peel off mask is easy to make at home. It is easy as the peel of the fruit can be sun dried, powdered and stored in an air tight container. Whenever you plan to apply a mask, you can add a few teaspoons with unflavoured gelatin and applied like a mask. Adding a teaspoon of honey will work like an anti aging component. You can add any vegetable or fruit pulp with hot gelatin.
2. Strawberry Wheat Flour Mask – For dry and combination skin types, this is one of the best homemade face masks. Freshly ground strawberries are mixed with wheat flour, a drop of almond oil and milk. The soft dough is applied on face and peeled off after it dries completely.
3. Lemon And Egg Peel Off Mask – The yellow portion of the egg is mixed with a few drops of lemon. The blackhead peel off mask is applied all over the face (except the eye area) and peeled when dry. The thin mask effectively removes blackheads. 4. Clay Masks – You can use fuller's earth with aloe vera and rose water. The mask is no less than any artificial polymer, clay or gum mask. It effectively removes sebum, dead skin and dirt that block skin cells and cause acne. 5. Anti Aging Peel Off Mask – Oatmeal and bran are excellent natural face masks. Combining the pulp with papaya or tomato, fresh cream and sugar will nourish skin and maintain it youthful forever. 6. Tapioca Pearls And Aloe Vera Peel Off Mask – Soak a handful of tapioca in a cup of water and leave it for about four hours. The soaked pearls are mixed with aloe vera gel and applied on face. The face mask is as powerful as chemical peel masks and works best for oily and sensitive skin. Soothes skin and cures acne scars.
Read more at: http://www.boldsky.com/beauty/skin-care/2012/peel-off-mask-homemade-050112.html
- 1/2 cup light tub-style cream cheese
- 1/3 cup nonfat cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons granulated no-calorie sweetener (4 packets)
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 drops almond extract
- 1/2 cup light whipped topping, thawed
- 12 large whole strawberries (about 1 pound)
- 2 graham cracker squares, crushed finely
In a small mixing bowl, by hand or with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheeses with the sweetener, lemon zest, and almond extract until smooth. Stir in the light whipped topping. Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag with a ½-inch fluted tip; alternately, you can use a zip-top bag with a small hole cut in the bottom.
With a sharp knife or apple corer, remove the stem and hull from the strawberries, creating a small cavity. Slice a ¼-inch strip from the side of each strawberry (so it can sit on its side without rolling).
Place the graham cracker crumbs on a small plate. Pipe 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese filling into and on top of each strawberry. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of crumbs over the filling. Place the strawberries in the refrigerator until time to serve. Arrange the strawberries on a platter and serve.
Recipe DetailsAdapted from "Eat More of What You Love" by Marlene Koch (Running Press, 2012)Servings:
Notes and Substitutions:Note:
These little gems are great for entertaining. You can stuff the strawberries up to 6 hours ahead and sprinkle with the graham cracker crumbs (or crushed vanilla or chocolate wafer crumbs) just before serving.
You Might Also Like.
..Roasted Eggplant Sandwiches
Eggplants and onions are caramelized in the oven then refreshed with a sprinkling of lemon juice and chives. For a gourmet spin on this roasted veggie sandwich, slather the bread with pesto on one side and rosemary cannellini bean spread on the... Read MorePaleo Coconut Macaroons
With only four ingredients, this simple gluten-free dessert recipe will wow your guests. These primal macaroons are made of coconut, egg whites, honey, and salt, making them an optimal Paleo cookie recipe. They'll be devoured within minutes!... Read More